MapBiomas Alerta is a system for validating and refining alerts of native vegetation deforestation in all Brazilian biomes with high-resolution images.
This system is constantly being developed by the collaborative network of MapBiomas co-creators in partnership with government user agencies (e.g. MMA, IBAMA, SFB, ICMBio, MPF, and TCU) and alert providers (e.g. INPE, IMAZON, University of Maryland).
Here are some clarifications on the limitations of alert data:
- Alerts period: The operational phase seeks to evaluate all deforestation alerts in the entire country from January 2019. The alerts prior to this period (October to December 2018) represent the pre-operational phase with a sample of the period. The detection no not necessary represent the moment when deforestation occurred. It represents the moment the detection occurred in the systems that provide alerts (DETER, SAD, GLAD). Deforestation detected in 2019 can be started or started in 2018.
- Grasslands: MapBiomas Alert uses the deforestation indications from the DETER/INPE (Amazon and Cerrado), SAD/IMAZON, SipamSAR/Censipam* (Amazon), and GLAD/Univ. Maryland (all biomes) systems. Of these systems, only the DETER-Cerrado system generates alerts on grasslands. Therefore, only in the Cerrado biome, it is monitored deforestation in grasslands. In the other biomes, grasslands deforestation is only identified in MapBiomas Alert when associated with indications of deforestation in forest and savannah formations.
- Embargo areas: The embargo areas are available by IBAMA's geo-service (http://siscom.ibama.gov.br/geoserver/) and may be incomplete in relation to state and municipal embargo areas.
- Rural Environmental Registry (CAR): data from CAR are those consulted through SICAR's geo service managed by the Brazilian Forest Service. Properties that are registered in the states and have not been synchronized with SICAR are not considered.
- Authorizations: The authorizations for management plans, vegetation suppression, and other types are sourced from SINAFLOR/IBAMA, which integrates data from all Brazilian states, with the exception of Pará and Mato Grosso, which until the launch of MapBiomas Alerta were not integrated into SINAFLOR. For these two states, the information was obtained from the geo-service of the SEMAs of these states (https://monitoramento.semas.pa.gov.br/monitoramento/#/sig and http://monitoramento.sema.mt.gov.br/simlam/). Municipal authorizations may be incomplete, as well as authorizations by states prior to the implementation of SINAFLOR in 2018.
- Pending alerts: The purpose is to review all the alerts generated by the main systems (DETER/INPE, SAD/IMAZON and GLAD/University of Maryland), however, part of the alerts may have their validation process pending for various reasons (e.g. lack of image due to cloud coverage). The number of alerts that are pending may vary over time, as they are revisited periodically.
- Omissions - the detection system outside the Amazon and Cerrado and the GLAD, which has no specific adaptations for Brazilian conditions. As a result, it is possible to omit many deforestations in the Pantanal, Pampa, Mata Atlântica, and Caatinga biomes.
If you have suggestions, critics, and ideas for improving our work, please contact us at: email@example.com.
* in the first four-month period of 2019, alerts from the SIMPAM_SAR system were also used, but then the service of access to these alerts was disabled by the Ministry of Defense.